Saturday, November 29, 2008

Miami Horror, Bravado E.P

Despite promising full album reviews another E.P has crept under the radar. But, personal criticism aside, this is an E.P I have been dieing to get my hands on.

At the ripe age of 22 Miami Horror has a lot to his name both as a D.J and producer. Just this year things have reached a peak producing the Gameboy/Gamegirl album, The Golden Ghetto Sex E.P, and recording a mix for Ajax’s record label in Sweat It out Volume 1. I’ve been following his Myspace music player for two years now and it has never failed to impress. His style is a mixture of disco, nu disco and 80s synthtastica. It’s great stuff especially when your out clubbing.

Enough with the background info how was the CD?

Well it may be the very thing I’m trying to avoid. It’s good, but not great. Most importantly it’s not Miami Horror, at least as I pictured his music. The synths are there, the influences form the 70s and 80s wander around in the background but that exciting personality is gone. It’s hard to criticise him because I hold his work in such high regard. This is the producer that transformed Gameboy/Gamegirl from quirky to cutting edge. In short I’m looking for Miami Horror and I’m seeing Daft Punk.


The vocal are the main issue. I wasn’t keen on them from the start. They were too clean and very similar to the French robotic duo we know and love. So it may not surprise you that the tracks I enjoyed the most were those without vocals including the two instrumentals. The two tracks Bellevue and Illumination assured me that not all was lost. I sit here with fingers crossed (for my sake at least) that Miami Horror follows the path of these tracks for his next E.P or full length record. There really isn’t anything like dancing to a track that sounds like Sly and the Family Stone, Blade Runner and Phantom of the Opera sliced together.

3 / 5

No comments: